Venice as 'Home'.



Arriving in Venice is always a surreal experience, but seeing San Marco by night slowly getting flooded by the rising water under the scroching heat of this August evening strikes me as a definit sign of global warming. This may (or may not) become part of this immersive research time into the works of  the world's creative thinkers of our time. 



Our Venitian flat is situated at the heart of a busy San Marco quarter. A unique view from our lounge reminds us that the time will be paced by the sound of the surrounding bells.




The first 3 days of our stay are taken by work in the British Pavilion where I will be posted for 8h30 hours long shifts, 3 to 4 days per week,  supporting the audience's engagement with the work of selected artist Cathy Wilkes https://venicebiennale.britishcouncil.org/2019-exhibition

The hours spent around the work slowly reveal the nature of every object  placed into the space by Cathy. I inspect every element under the constantly changing venitian daylight. The precision of the work becomes evident as the hours pass. The children characters in the first room, a picture put on a wall, the lack of text, the light , the floor, the walls, the cloth chosen to paint on and the pigments, all become untangled in a poetic silence.

Soon I realise that I have never spent this much time with someonelse's art; I undertand that this will change my own work forever.



Continue watching...


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Preparing for Venice

Artist interview; Lilli Muller

My Ocean or the Value of Art?