My Ocean or the Value of Art?

Walking through the many exhibits , I was most caught by the ones which invited my participation, some of these demanded a lot of the visitors, whether in time, response, reading or in thinking.

The most prominent theme throughout the biennale relates to sensitisation to climate change.

The Lithuanian pavilion, a definit highlight and winner of this year's biennale, invited people in an operatic performance in two ways, either as a volunteer, laying on the beach for 3 hours, or as a god's like audience, watching the one hour long performance from above, a postion which left the viewer suspended in time.
A picture of society as a self-inflicted struggle which each has  the power to change. All delivered in a relaxing effortless setting of a holiday beach.



An extremely powerful experience which left me both empowered, motivated and in tears.



The French Pavilion
Deep See Blue Surrounding You / Vois Ce Bleu Profond Te Fondre by Laure Prouvost 
was another eye opener which took me on a sensory journey through water, climate change and plastics.
I was fortunate enough to interview Nicolas Faubert, one of the dancers in the film as part of my investigation of participation in a work of art as a life changing element.
I went to the pavilion repeatedly, as you would take a roller- coaster ride; the experience never failed to turn me upside down. I will miss this the most.





           Nicolas Faubert, Dancer.
(French pavilion media photographs)


I was pleased to meet Nicolas Faubert, dancer involved in Laure Prouvost's film and interviewed him (in french)  to gain a sense of what it means to be inovled in the making of one of the most influencial  exhibit of the 2019 art biennale. Nicolas very honestly and humbly expressed how he felt that the experinece hadn't yet quite kicked in, as he was still in the middle of it.  He told of how he came from a family of refugee, strating with no shelter, him and his mother carrying only only the clothe they had on their back. Nicolas reflected back on how lucky he feels to have been able to dance his way out of trouble and become a professional hip hop dancer recognised by society, by the art world and by his peers. He spoke about the immense humanity in Laure Prouvost's attitude towards the people she invited in the work (including her own mother), a stance which is strongly reflected in the work.



The Ocean Space- Joan Jonas-

In my search for live art and participation, i was drawn to visit Joan Jonas's at  Ocean Space Venezia (Chiesa di San Lorenzo)  for her "Moving off the Land II" exhibit. Jonas worked with a marine biologist and with a group of children to create a series of short films presented into little booth to provide an intimate setting which contrasted with the gigantic setting of the church in renovation. Se used the scaffoldings around the room to suspend large fish and sea creatures watercolour sketches, thus transforming  the sacred space into an ocean in which i was immersed. Deeply moved by the space and the chidlren's presence in the film, i decided to record my feelings into a blue wool thread to add to my dress. 
Her shamanic presence in the film, with her white hair, white lab coat and bells, dancing and moving with sea creatures, seem to entrust a precious heritage to the future generations.





Strong powerful invitation to participation through the contruction of a space which immerse us in the work; we are not wacthing , we are part of it and need to deal with it.

I think of the resistance from society and from individuals to adequately aknoweldge the big issue.
I think of my resistance to fully acting upon it daily.
I think of my participation to the disaster of climate change-My responsibility
I think of my origin , the ocean, and my body's resistance to the elements

Water
Salt
Air
Sun...burning fire


Alberto Burri: The Trauma Of Painting - Guggenheim

https://www.guggenheim.org › arts-curriculum › resource-unit 



I go to the sea
I think, I think, I think







I think of the water- and us



    The monument to the Partisan Woman at the Biennale Gardens in Venice


I think of the children


                                            Cathy Wilkes, 2019




I think of responsibility








I think of salvation







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Artist interview; Lilli Muller

Preparing for Venice

Navigating Venice