Navigating Venice

I've learnt the art of crowd surfing very early on, as living in busy San Marco. I can now get to work in 10 minutes instead of 30 at the start. I also found the best croissants in Venice near our flat, so I'm safe.

All the fellows  have been eaten by the  tiger mosquitoes which have invaded Venice specially for us this year. This left my flat mate, with such swelling that we had to visit 'Ospidale'(Venice local Hospital). 


A&E entrance



Learning what it means to live in Venice is surely part of this research.

I have learnt to navigate hospital and medical care using boats, running shoes( to collect passports and health card from home), and the little bit of italian which is now starting to come back to me, but still feels very limited.
It was impressive to see how quickly my friend was seen (by an english spoken nurse), considering the number of tourists around the island at this time of the year.








Ospidale




Hmm, beware of tiger mosquitoes!


Similarly the rubbish collection in Venice is extremely well organised. The recycling is done religiously by all. We deliver our rubbish daily to a boat nearby between the hour of 6.30 to 8.30 am. Our cards and paper in the provided paper bags and our bottles next to them. All gets sorted by different boat trips.
I think I have become the most eco-friendly person in Venice over this time; I have learnt to definitely re-use my bottle everyday and refill it in fountains. I have used the same paper bag to put my sandwich, and I make my salad in a salad box bought at the  airport on the way, refilling it with fresh ingredients.

I'm heading to the Pavilion. Today we are going to be one Stewart short as my friend is still in bed with inflamed legs. We have apparently acquired one chair in the pavilion - one for six people. But we are not allowed to use for it too long either to ensure we keep engaging with people. Our task is to introduce  the work for visitors who may feel lost when no text is presented in the space.  
I am not usually sweaty but here, I probably lose about a litre of water every morning just going to work, while walking in the full morning sunshine on the quay. it is only 9.00 am but i can see no shadows on the objects around me. The sun seems and feels like  midday in England during heatwave. This is Venice. lovin' it lovin' it lovin' it!






Cooling down at the beach.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Artist interview; Lilli Muller

Preparing for Venice

My research 'stratagem' and Identity struggle