My research 'stratagem' and Identity struggle



Laboratory of Dissent- Collective residency with CAS at Winchester Gallery


In my response to the curator's call 'May we live in interesting times', I will explore the use of unconventional art process and radical interventions to challenge the notion of engagement, hoping to reveal the 'true' value of art in a time of deep political and environmental anxiety.


When receiving the fellowship, I was faced with a  dilemma presented by the  multiple facets of my identity as an artist; a researcher,French native (going to represent and support the British at the time of Brexit), and of course also as a mother abandoning ship for the full length of the summer holiday. 

I realised that these facets, although multiple,  defined one identity and therefore could and should not be left behind. I seized this as an opportunity.


Who is in it?

In this research, I will move part of my family to Venice for some of the residency, to embark on a collective investigation of what Venice could actually means to us.

My 13 years old son wishes to create a short film with his 13 year old view and take on the work and place.(my 22 years old daughter has fled the nest, but may wish to contribute in some way).

My husband who also acts as my technician at times, previously visited Venice and will be contributing with his meticulous technical eyes and mind. He may also contribute to filming/photograhying as per my previous performance in Venice.


Conscious of the uniqueness of this opportunity, I wanted to further share this experience; I will attempt to invite my students to follow and respond to the blog and am in the process of organising a trip for them to join me for a further collective intervention in the Giardini or pavilion in October.



What i am hoping to get in Venice?


I have visited the Venice Biennale twice in the past and was astonished by the incredible wealth of art presented across the city. The opportunity to spend more time on site with the artwork is awesome.
The immersion in 'life as a venetian' will allow for the formation of habits which will contribute to the experience (this will include the ringing of the bells of San Marco, at 12.00am and 6.00am daily, next to our flat).

The connections both with the British Council and with a-space have already impacted on my career and life as an artist and can only be continued and heightened while on the island. The group I am going with in August presents a wide range of ages and artforms and will present an equally rich and engaging opportunity for research exchange .


I hope the research to contribute to my PhD enquiry on the learning elements of live art but also as an assessment of the values that people attach to the arts. 



  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Preparing for Venice

Artist interview; Lilli Muller

Navigating Venice